Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Birds and The Bees talk

Vernon and I decided a long time ago that we would always tell our children the truth. We tell them all the time that they can ask us anything and trust us completely. On hard questions we tell them the truth in simple age-appropriate ways or tell them we will explain it later when they are older or more mature. Janessa has asked me about sex several times. I have always told her I would explain it all to her when I thought she was mature enough to handle it. Well, my oldest son (our nephew that we have legal custody of) is in the Army. We found out his girlfriend is pregnant some time ago (about 4 months along now). (ADDITION - Whooo - that was really hard to put out there finally. I have been wanting to write about it for a while. Not only is it hard to deal with, but I feel like we failed miserably as substitute parents to him. - More later I'm sure) We put off telling the kids until his Boot Camp Graduation. We knew that it would bring up lots of questions and of course it did. Janessa asked us then how it happened and has brought it up several times since. I kept telling her I would tell her as soon as we got a chance and Momma figured out the best way to explain it.

Well tonight it finally happened........ How nerve racking and funny at the same time. I explained that God made a man and woman like a puzzle. We fit together to form a family in more ways than one. Though I agonized over this and read books about how to explain it to your kids with a Christian foundation, I offered lots of information and answered lots of questions. She was absolutely floored and somewhat in a state of horror and shock. She of course asked it Vernon and I did that and I said yes. She said "yuck...why?" I told her it was the only way to have babies. She said "Well, you always say Brayden was a suprise. Why did you do that to get pregnant with him?" I said "uuuuuuhhhhhhhhh, it's just what married people do!" Oh my gosh, raising kids is so much fun!

1 comment:

Kim said...

It's scary how fast they grow up, isn't it!!!